Fairview Park was originally part of Rockport Township, later the Rocky River hamlet. The hamlet was incorporated as a village in 1903 and was split in 1910, with the northern part of the region becoming Rocky River and the southern part assuming the name Goldwood. Part of the Goldwood Township was later annexed to Rocky River and Goldwood would subsequently be incorporated as a separate village. Afterwards, Goldwood was split into two regions. A large portion of the land to North became the Village of Fairview (later Fairview Village). Meanwhile, the remaining land located in the southwest corner and land along Center Ridge Road remained as Goldwood and was later incorporated as a village. By 1925, the remaining Goldwood region was renamed Parkview.
Both Fairview and Parkview remained small suburbs of Cleveland. In 1948 Fairview became Fairview Park Village, becoming a city in 1958. Parkview became annexed to Fairview in 1967.
There are 7,856 households now and the total population is over 17,000. The median income for a household is about $51,000 and the per capita income is about $27,500. The boundaries of Fairview Park are irregular but essentially have the city of Cleveland to the East and South, Westlake and North Olmsted to the West, and Rocky River to the North. Fairview Park would also border Lakewood but the Cleveland Metro Park system is between the two cities.
The city has two commercial districts; Lorain Road and Center Ridge Road. The new Westgate is the city’s largest shopping complex and is located at the Rocky River border. There is considerable commerce located on Lorain Road as well.
Not only does the city have five city parks, but it also offers some access points to the Cleveland Metro Parks. There are three public schools; Fairview High School, Lewis F. Mayer Junior High School, and Gillis Sweet Elementary School.