Welcome to Strongsville!
While traversing the roads of Strongsville, one might pass by the distinctive clock tower or drive over a rustic covered bridge. Or you might happen upon a Community Band concert at the Gazebo in Town Square.
Located in Cuyahoga County, a suburb of Cleveland, Strongsville exudes small-town atmosphere with a quality of life consisting of soothing green space, excellent city services, and a school system second to none. Business and civic organizations work together hand-in-hand to project a community spirit that is evident to all in such projects as the creation of the Community Playground, the building of the Clock Tower on Town Square, and the construction of the Catan Stadium at Strongsville High School.
Strongsville has a goal... to encourage bustling economic development while maintaining and building upon the strength of our neighborhoods and families. We have created this Web site to provide the latest news and information on Strongsville and to enable our residents and other interested parties to find our “everything you always wanted to know” about Strongsville…………
Strongsville City Schools
Rigorous, Diverse, Student Focused Programs
The People Connection
Facilities and Transportation
The Founding of Strongsville
In the early 1800's, lands in northeastern Ohio belonging to the state of Connecticut and called the "Western Reserve" began to attract emigration from Connecticut, Vermont and other parts of New England. These lands were sold by the state to the Connecticut Land Company and parceled out among the members of the organization. Township No. 5, in the 14th range fell to the ownership of Oliver Ellsworth of Hartford. The land was inherited by his sons, William W. and Henry L. of Windsor & Hartford, Connecticut.
In 1815, the Ellsworths began a correspondence with John Stoughton Strong of Marlboro, Vermont regarding sale of a considerable portion of their Ohio township. Agreements were made to purchase some of the Ellsworth land and to act as an agent for the sale of the balance of the land.
In February 1816, John led a party through New York with a stop in Cleveland. They followed a trail south along the Rocky River to Columbia. From Columbia they traveled to Township No. 5. They cleared about an acre and built log cabins for shelter. The party included John's oldest son Emory, his brother-in-law, Elijah Lyman, Sr., and Guilford Whitney, a relative of John's wife. Guilford's 21 year old daughter Bernicey served as cook and cabin keeper for the men…….