Twinsburg Real Estate Information
HISTORY OF TWINSBURG
In 1817, a sixteen-year-old boy named Ethan Alling arrived in Township Five in the tenth range of the Connecticut Land Company, also known as Millsville. Alling was to survey the four hundred acres his Connecticut family had purchased. He is considered the first settler of the town that would be renamed Twinsburg, and eventually he became the postmaster, stagecoach operator, merchant and hotel proprietor of the community.
A set of identical twins from Killingworth, Connecticut purchased some 4000 acres of land in 1819 and began selling small parcels at low prices to attract other settlers. The Wilcox twins then offered six acres of land for a public square and $20.00 toward starting the first school if the residents would change the settlement's name from Millsville to Twinsburg.
Moses and Aaron Wilcox were reportedly so identical only their closest friends could tell them apart. They were lifelong business partners; held all their property in common; married sisters; had the same number of children; contracted the same fatal ailment; died within hours of each other and are buried in the same grave in Twinsburg’s Locust Grove Cemetery.
Since the first settlers arrived in the early 1800’s, the area has had a long, distinguished history. While the area has experienced growth that has outpaced many other neighboring communities, residents are extremely proud of their heritage, and have not forgotten their debt to the past and those who originally settled here. To that end, The Twinsburg Historical Society was formed in 1963. Finding a home in what was originally the Samuel Bissell Institute, built in the 1860’s, the Society’s museum houses pictures, papers and documents pertaining to the area’s history. Tools and equipment used by early artisans and farmers, furniture, household items, clothes, books, letters and records of Twinsburg’s early citizens are all showcased.
Twinsburg Township and Reminderville are also part of the Twinsburg family, in that the three entities comprise the local school district and often have much in common. The Township is a political subdivision, governed in accordance with the laws of the Ohio Revised Code. Reminderville was settled by three Reminder brothers during the Depression, and although there was no road to connect the two entities, was part of the township at that time. Reminderville became a separate entity in 1955. The City of Twinsburg was created and adopted a charter in 1957.
Today, the area is known for offering a modern living and working place in a rural atmosphere. Twinsburg has become the hub of Northeast Ohio, offering proximity to the bustling cities of Cleveland and Akron, while maintaining the serenity of its many acres of peaceful parkland, and in 2007 received the honor of being named "One of the 100 Best Places to Live in the Nation" by Money Magazine.
Twinsburg's school community is a suburban, residential area located 20 miles southeast of Cleveland and 20 miles northeast of Akron. Residents are from a broad range of socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds. The community has a strong, light industrial tax base and a very progressive government. The community is composed of three separately governed jurisdictions of Reminderville, Twinsburg Township and the City of Twinsburg. Twinsburg City School District is a large suburban school district comprised of five schools, from primary school through high school, with a central administrative building. The district is the third largest employer in Twinsburg with more than 500 employees and supports over 4,400 students. The State of Ohio has consistently classified the district as "Excellent", and for the 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10 school years, classified it as "Excellent with Distinction".